Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Salvador Dali clocks

I was at the thrift store and picked up some records...you remember those..some of you might not know what they even are. Well, I'm always looking for something new and cool to do. What to do with these records.

I have never been into Salvador Dali...just can't figure his little mind out...but who could. But I've seen other use clay and sculpt out the Salvador Dali clocks with their students. I don't have a kiln so what could I do. Then I thought, I could melt a record and shape it when it's warm. This is what I came up with.

I took a record and heated the oven to about 200 degrees. I put a pot on a baking sheet and then put the record on it. As it melted I would take it out, play around with shaping it...if it didn't work out just put it back in the oven and remelt it.

Then I used acrylic paint

8 comments:

  1. I haven't checked your blog in a while and oh my gosh - I LOVE these clocks!!!

    Great job - again wishing I had young children again. Sort of... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SUCH a cool project. I'm just trying to figure out how to do it with a class at school.... Were there much fumes/smell from the melting record? That would be my only concern, especially if I had to melt 30 records myself at home. It should be an economical project as you can buy records at garage sales these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this project but I also wonder about the fumes the records might create.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've done this project before using Upou paper. It's a plastic watercolor paper that melts and distorts in the oven. The results were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've done this project before using Upou paper. It's a plastic watercolor paper that melts and distorts in the oven. The results were amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this idea is wonderful for an Art Club size group. I used shrinky dink paper last year to create Chiluy style art with my club

    ReplyDelete
  7. paint is not sticking to records very frustrating in a classroom that only has tempra paint

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe it's possible with a recycle plastic?

    ReplyDelete